Geographia Polonica (1972) vol. 22
Directions of geomorphological research in the Department of Physical Geography in Cracow
Geographia Polonica (1972) vol. 22, pp. 53-74
In the autumn of 1953 professor M. Klimaszewski organised a Section ofGeomorphology and Hydrography at the Institute of Geography of the PolishAcademy of Sciences in Cracow. At the beginning, 2-4 geomorphologists wereemployed but later the number rose to eight."Research was concentrated atfirst on studies of the evolution of the relief, based on a method of geomorphologicalmapping. Afterwards research in dynamic geomorphology becameincreasingly more frequent. Two research stations became linked to the department:that at Hala Gąsienicowa in the Tatras, situated at the upper tree-line(1520 m a.s.l.), and from 1966 that in Szymbark in the Flysch Carpathians,situated on the border of the Carpathian Foothills and the Beskidy Mts.(300-740 m a.s.l.). In the autumn of 1968 professor Klimaszewski handed overhis office as head of the Department to the author of this article and in 1970the Department was renamed the Department of Physical Geography.
, Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization Polish Academy of Sciences, 31-018 Krakow, Sw. Jana 22, Poland