Magdalena Skwierawska

Articles

Hydrotechnic structures on the Pomeranian rivers - a reaction to extreme hydrologic phenomena in the 19 century (in the example of the upper Wieprza)

Wacław Florek, Jolanta Jaromij, Magdalena Skwierawska

Geographia Polonica (2010) vol. 83, iss. 1, pp. 25-37 | Full text
doi: https://doi.org/GPol.2010.1.3

Further information

Abstract:

In the 19th century throughout Central Europe fl oods became increasingly intense; a similarsituation pertained in the area of lake districts and the coastal zone. Maximum water levels recordedat the end of the 19th century (particularly in the years 1888-1892) to the present day on many watergaugestations (particularly those located in rivers’ lower courses) were the highest ever observed.Yet in the half on 19th century the need for regulation works became increasingly apparent. On thePomeranian rivers these works began in 1860; they reached their greatest intensity in the fi rst twentyyears of 20th century.Regulation activity was conducted which led to a distinct shortening of riverbeds; on longer sectionsof the river the reduction amounted from over 12 to 20 or more percent, in some places even50%. It caused the aggravation of bottom erosion, and also lateral erosion, which was particularlyapparent beneath the water power stations.In the last few decades the ending of work that interferes with the riverbed has resulted in thegradual restoration of the primary character of Wieprza River bed. It is also worth mentioning thateven when notable fl oods have appeared (for example, in 1980), which were comparable to those thatappeared at the end of 19th century, they did not lead to any fundamental change to any section of theWieprza River bed geosystem.

Keywords: hydrotechnic structures, Wieprza river, fl ood, river bed response, reservoir, fl oodplain.

Wacław Florek, Department of Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology, Institute of Geograpghy and Regional Studies, Pomeranian University in Słupsk, Partyzantów 27, 76-200 Słupsk, Poland
Jolanta Jaromij, Department of Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology, Institute of Geography and Regional Studies, Pomeranian University in Słupsk, Partyzantów 27, 76-200 Słupsk, Poland
Magdalena Skwierawska, Department of Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology, Institute of Geography and Regional Studies, Pomeranian University in Słupsk, Partyzantów 27, 76-200 Słupsk, Poland